The Health Services program for Forsyth County Schools advances the well-being, academic success, and life-long achievement of students. To that end, school nurses facilitate positive student responses to normal development; promote health and safety; intervene with actual and potential health problems; provide case management services; and actively collaborate with others to build student and family capacity for adaptation, self management, self advocacy, and learning.
The school nurse
- provides direct health care to students and staff
- provides leadership for the provision of health services
- provides screening and referral for health conditions
- promotes a healthy school environment
- promotes health
- serves in a leadership role for health policies and programs
- serves as a liaison between school personnel, family, community, and health care providers
Healthy children are successful learners. The school nurse has a multi-faceted role within the school setting, one that supports the physical, mental, emotional, and social health of students and their success in the learning process.