Attendance for Face to Face and Virtual Students
Regular attendance is essential to success in school. As permitted under the State Board of Education Rule 160-5-1-.10, the Georgia Compulsory Education Law O.C.G.A. § 20-2-690.1, and Forsyth County Board of Education policy, students may be excused for the following reasons:
- Personal illness or attendance in school that endangers a student’s health or the health of others.
- A serious illness or death in a student’s immediate family necessitating absence from school.
- A court order or an order by a governmental agency, including pre-induction physical examinations for service in the armed forces, mandating absence from school.
- The observance of religious holidays, necessitating absence from school.
- Conditions rendering attendance impossible or hazardous to student health or safety.
- A scheduled medical, dental or eye examination of the student.
- Registering to vote or voting.
- A visit up to five school days per year, with a parent or legal guardian who is on leave from or who is being deployed to military service.
Students shall be counted present when they are serving as a Page in the Georgia General Assembly.
Students who are in foster care are to be counted present at school when attending court proceedings related to their care and placement.
Non-school related activities and vacations are considered unexcused.
Absences for Face to Face and Virtual Students
The parent/guardian must submit a note, fax or e-mail the attendance clerk within five (5) school days for the student’s absence to be considered excused.
School begins promptly at 8:20am and students will be dismissed at 3:00pm. The Forsyth County School System believes in the importance of regular school attendance. Attendance must be taken in Infinite Campus by 8:30 every school day.
It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to contact the school office, by 10:00 a.m. to report the student's absence. Students must submit a note or the parent must fax or e-mail the attendance office within five (5) calendar days for the student’s absence to be considered excused. Attendance Fax Number: 678-965-5091 or Attendance e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The parent / guardian must write a note, fax or e-mail stating the student’s name, the teacher’s name, the date(s) of absence, and the reason for the absence. If the student has missed four (4) consecutive days, a doctor’s note may be required at the discretion of the administration. In case of extended illness, hospitalization, or injury, the parent should apply for hospital homebound service. Hospital homebound service should be applied for immediately when absences of ten (10) days or more are anticipated for the student.