To receive Special Education services, students must meet Georgia eligibility requirements. Once a student is determined to be eligible under the Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA), an IEP or Individualized Education Plan is written and services begin.
Out of County: Parents or guardians should contact the HSM Special Education Department Chair (Amber Harbin) or the Forsyth County Special Education Department. Transfer students will need to provide a current IEP or sign a release of records so that current student information may be obtained. All records will be reviewed by Forsyth County personnel and an IEP committee to determine appropriate services.
In County: IEP’s from within the county transfer automatically to Hendricks Middle.
- General Education: Students with disabilities are served in the general education classroom with no special education personnel support.
- Consultation: Students with disabilities receive one hour / month of service.
- Supportive: Students with disabilities receive service from paraprofessionals in a general education class.
- Co-taught: Students with disabilities receive service from certified teachers in a general education class.
- Special Education Class: Students with disabilities meet in a small group with a special education teacher. Support is offered in 6th - 8th grade Math, Language Arts, Reading Literacy, and Math Literacy.
Survival Tips for Parents:
- The Parent Portal in Infinite Campus is a web-based application and allows you access to pertinent information about your child's performance, attendance, health records. Registration information is available at HERE. Each student can access teacher provided content via itslearning, our student learning management system.
- Contact your child's case manager to set up a parent/teacher conference or IEP meeting when needed.
Survival Tips For Students:
- Keep a notebook or folder for each class.
- Use your agenda to write down your homework and keep up with test dates.
- Always take notes in class.
- Review and read your class notes daily.
- Complete and turn in homework.
- Login to itslearning and check information in your courses
- Makeup all missed work.
- Ask questions.
- Get involved and have fun!
If you need any additional help, please email: Amber Harbin
Hendricks Middle School, Department Chair for Exceptional Students