Comprehensive School Counseling Program
School Counselors design a comprehensive school counseling program to improve student outcomes. It is one that based on data and assists students in acquiring the knowledge and skills necessary for healthy growth and development. The school counseling program includes developmentally appropriate components that focus on the ASCA Mindsets and Behaviors. These include skills that all students need for postsecondary readiness and success. (ASCA Mindsets & Behaviors) The three main areas of a comprehensive school counseling include Direct student services, Indirect Student Services, and Program Planning & School Support.
According to the American School Counselor Association, School Counselors help all students:
• apply academic achievement strategies
• manage emotions and apply interpersonal skills
• plan for postsecondary options (higher education, military, work force)
Appropriate duties include:
• individual student academic planning and goal setting
• school counseling classroom lessons based on student success standards
• short-term counseling to students
• referrals for long-term support
• collaboration with families/teachers/ administrators/community for student success
• advocacy for students at individual education plan meetings and other student-focused meetings
• data analysis to identify student issues, needs and challenges.