• old
     
    Chestatee Elementary 
     
     Chestatee Elementary is named after the former Chestatee School, which opened in 1931 on five acres in north Forsyth County. The original Chestatee School was built with half of the funds from the Board of Education and half from the Chestatee community. Men brought their scoops and mules to make room for classrooms in the basement. They bought the timber from the stump and sawmilled it locally. Mr. S. M. Rosser was the first principal of the school. In 1939, Crossroads, Hopewell and Pleasant Grove schools consolidated with Chestatee. The school received a gymnasium and cafeteria soon after that. In 1967, the Chestatee High School was consolidated into the Forsyth County High School, now Forsyth Central High School. The school received numerous renovations in 1973, including classrooms, a library, office and a modern cafeteria. Since that time, the school has had five renovations and improvements. Originally located near the Chestatee River, which is now a part of Lake Lanier, Chestatee is Indian for “fire hunters.” 
     
     

Last Modified on June 4, 2019