Hello , welcome to RMS Mathematics!
The Mathematics Department at Riverwatch Middle School follows the Common Core Georgia Performance Standards (CCGPS). In 7th grade, instructional time focuses on four critical areas: (1) developing understanding of and applying proportional relationships; (2) developing understanding of operations with rational numbers and working with expressions and linear equations; (3) solving problems involving scale drawings and informal geometric constructions, and working with two‐ and three‐dimensional shapes to solve problems involving area, surface area, and volume; and (4) drawing inferences about populations based on samples. In 7th grade, there is also a strong focus on writing across the grade level in preparation for the Georgia Milestone Assessment (GMAP) which takes place in the April. All teachers utilize the ACE format to instruct students on how to analyze and reflect when solving word problems. Listed below are the detailed pieces of all levels of Mathematics in 7th grade. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact any teacher on our Math team.
Ratios and Proportional Relationships
• Analyze proportional relationships and use them to solve real‐world and mathematical problems.
The Number System
• Apply and extend previous understandings of operations with fractions to add, subtract, multiply, and divide rational numbers.
Expressions and Equations
• Use properties of operations to generate equivalent expressions.
• Solve real‐life and mathematical problems using numerical and algebraic expressions and equations.
• Draw, construct and describe geometrical figures and describe the relationships between them.
• Solve real‐life and mathematical problems involving angle measure, area, surface area, and volume.
Statistics and Probability
• Use random sampling to draw inferences about a population.
• Draw informal comparative inferences about two populations.
• Investigate chance processes and develop, use, and evaluate probability models.
ALL CCGPS 7th Grade Standards plus:
- Multi-step problems and word problems with increased rigor
- Word Problems with inequalities
- Equations and inequalities with variables on both sides
- Solve for specific variables (2-step max) given an equation written in 2+ variables (i.e. a + 2b = c, solve for b)
- Multi-step percent problems
- Increased rigor with larger sample spaces and compound events
- Dependent and independent events
7th Math TeamRebecca Cowartrcowart26@forsyth.k12.ga.us
678-455-7311Ext. 300366Erin Mulieroemuliero@forsyth.k12.ga.us
678-455-7311Ext. 300377Melody Sudduthmsudduth@forsyth.k12.ga.us