Kindergarten General Information
At Daves Creek we follow the Georgia Standards of Excellence. Additional information about Kindergarten standards can be found at www.georgiastandards.orgWe will be working with your child on these skills as the school year begins
- Letter recognition-upper and lowercase
- Letter sound recognition
- Writing first name beginning with a capital letter , followed by lowercase letters
- Listening to a story and remembering information from the story
- Identifying 2D and 3D shapes
- Counting-rote to 100 and counting sets to 20
- Identifying numerals 0-10
- Color identification
- Following classroom and school rules: walking quietly in the hall, raising hand to speak, etc.
Reading and Phonics
KendoreKingdom-includes phonics, phonemic awareness, fluency training, practice in applying these skills in reading and writing, and enriched language experiences.
American Reading Company- Literacy Lab
CCGPS Reading and Language Arts Frameworks
Lucy Caulkin Writing
GSE Math Frameworks
Math TubsSocial Studies
Houghton Mifflin Georgia ScienceThe VoyageMonthly character educationAnchor words: Respect, Patience, Self Control, Compassion, Trustworthy, Independence, Appreciation, Loyalty
Standards Based Reporting
Georgia Standards of Excellence - Report Cards and Rubrics are aligned to the National Common Core GPS.
Running Reading Record
Administered by a teacher when needed to assess reading growth and fluency.
GKIDS (Georgia Kindergarten Inventory of Developing Skills)
Administered twice a year
Regular school attendance is essential to your child’s success in school. Lessons are teacher directed, involving listening and oral expression and involve hands-on activities. Therefore, it is sometimes difficult to send make-up work home. Students may be excused for the following reasons:
Serious illness or death in the immediate family
Celebration of religious holidays
Conditions rendering attendance impossible or hazardous to health or safety.
- It is the responsibility of the parents to send a written excuse within 5 days of the absence.
- Vacations and non-school related functions are not excused absences. Traffic problems and oversleeping are not excused late check-ins nor is checking a student out of school due to a parent’s schedule.
- Field trips are planned by grade level and relate specifically to the objectives of the CCGPS.
- Parents are needed to chaperone trips; however on some trips the number of adults may be restricted.
- Bus transportation is available for all students who live within the school district.
- Bus and car riders are given a number at open house.
- If there is a change in dismissal plans, a signed and dated note or email from the parent or guardian must be received by the school in order for a student to be dismissed in any way other than the usual manner. This includes being picked up by someone other than the parent or guardian.
- Students are not allowed to ride a bus with another student as a change of transportation. Arrangements to get to the friend’s house will be as a car rider.
- All medication must be kept in the nurse’s office and administered by school personnel.
- Parents must complete and sign a medication form before any medication can be dispensed.
- All medication must be in its original container, specifying name of patient, prescribing physician, dosage and name of pharmacy, and brought to the school by an adult.
Sample Kindergarten Class Schedule
7:50-8:30 Check-in, Lunch Choice, Morning Work
8:30-9:00 Calendar math
9:00-10:30 Guided Reading /Literacy Centers
10:45-11:30 Shared reading/writers workshop
11:30-12:10 Math/math tubs
12:10-12:30 SMART Whole Group Phonics
12:30-12:40 Restroom/prep for lunch
1:10-1:35 Recess and bathroom break
1:35-2:05 Learning Centers
2:05-2:50 Specials (Art, Music, PE, STEM Lab, Robotics, Global Connections)
2:50-3:00 prepare for dismissal