Welcome, War Eagle Speech and Debate Team!
Speech and Debate is a club for everyone. Beyond the improvements in their academic performance that prepare them to excel in college, speech and debate students change in ways that influence every aspect of their lives. It gives them the social and academic confidence they need to grow as individuals, achieve educational goals, pursue meaningful work, and improve the lives of others – and our world.*For more information see the NFL homepageClub Documents (Google Drive).Items of Importance:
- Join SFHS S&D on GroupMe: attend a meeting to get signed up and receive up-to-date notifications and communications.
- Student Competitors should register on TabRoom website for Tournament Listings and vital competition information (such as pairings) communicated during tournaments.
- Local Competition Listings on Joy of Tournaments website. *Please inform Mrs. Oxford-Bennett if you would like to attend one of the listed tournaments. If three or more students are planning to attend, participants may benefit from reduced application costs.
- Club Meetings: Tuesday afternoons in Media Center. We will not meet when on early release schedule
- Dues: $35.00/year-start per student (includes t-shirt and goes towards National Forensics League membership fee). DUES MUST BE PAID ON My Payments Plus
Other costs: competition fees will be assessed when students sign-up to attend a competition. Judges fees and entry fees for each contest usually ranges from $20-$60/student. *costs determined by the host school and impacted by the number of judges a school may take to assist with the contest as well as the number of competing students from SFHS.
Contests are generally two day events held Friday evenings and Saturday mornings. Some contests are only one day (Saturdays). Parent or self-transportation is expected. We may also take a bus when the number of students justifies the hourly expense to hire a bus driver (Mrs. Oxford-Bennett will determine transportation methods; assume parent transport unless otherwise communicated).
Sponsor: Ms Oxford-Bennett (Rm. 406 West Hall)
Student participation is key to club membership. Students seeking membership should plan to compete at least twice during the school year at a NSDA sanctioned competition. The state contest is held in the spring semester. Opportunities to compete at the national level may come to those who score well at state. Students at SFHS specialize in Lincoln-Douglas Debate, Policy Forum Debate, and Public (Extemporaneous) Speaking. However, Speech and Debate competitions in Georgia may include any of the events listed on the team Google Drive (see regulations document). Club Documents (Google Drive)
Last Modified on Friday at 11:01 AM