Hello, Welcome to DeSana Mathematics!
The Mathematics Department at DeSana Middle School follows the Common Core Georgia Performance Standards (CCGPS). In Grade 6, instructional time focuses on five critical areas: (1) connecting ratio and rate to whole number multiplication and division and using concepts of ratio and rate to solve problems; (2) completing understanding of division of fractions and extending the notion of number to the system of rational numbers, which includes negative numbers; (3) writing, interpreting, and using expressions and equations; (4) developing understanding of statistical thinking; and (5) extending understanding of geometric figures. Listed below are the detailed levels of Mathematics in 6th grade. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact any teacher on our Math team.
· Number Systems & Rational Numbers: Extend previous understanding of numbers to the full system of rational numbers.
· Ratios, Rates & Proportions: Use reasoning about multiplication and division to solve ratio and rate problems. This will also connect to fractions.
· Expressions & Equations: Extend knowledge of variables into writing expressions and equations that correspond to given situations.
· Area & Volume: Reason about relationships among shapes to determine area, surface area, and volume.
· Statistics: Describe and summarize numerical data sets using graphs. Students think statistically to reinforce understanding of numbers.
ALL CCGPS 6th Grade plus:
- Apply and extend understanding of operations with all rational numbers
- Expand linear expressions with rational numbers
- Solve two-step and multi-step equations