Hello , Welcome to DeSana Mathematics!
The Mathematics Department at DeSana Middle School follows the Georgia Standards of Excellence (GSE). In Grade 8, instructional time focuses on three critical areas: (1) formulating and reasoning about expressions and equations, including modeling an association in bivariate data with a linear equation, and solving linear equations and systems of linear equations; (2) grasping the concept of a function and using functions to describe quantitative relationships; and (3) analyzing two‐ and three‐dimensional space and figures using distance, angle, similarity, and congruence, and understanding and applying the Pythagorean Theorem. Listed below are the detailed concepts of both levels of Mathematics in 8th grade. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact any teacher on our Math team.
- Transformations, Congruence & Similarity: Understand congruence and similarity using physical models, transparencies or geometry software.
- Exponents: Work with radicals and integer exponents
- Geometric Applications of Exponents: Understand and apply the Pythagorean Theorem.
- Functions: Define, evaluate, and compare functions
- Linear Functions: Understand the connections between proportional relationships, lines, and linear equations
- Linear Models & Tables: Use functions to model relationships between quantities.
- Solving Systems of Equations: Analyze and solve linear equations and pairs of simultaneous linear equations.
ALL CCGPS 8th Grade plus:
· Simplify radicals
· Simplify radicals with variables
- Operations with radicals (+, -, x,÷)
- Distance formula & midpoint, solve literal equations
· Linear inequalities
· Write the equation given 2 points, x + y intercepts, or slope and 1 point
- Equations of perpendicular and parallel lines
- Use a graphing calculator to find linear regression
- Systems of inequalities