Environmental Wellness in it's basic form is RESPECT-respect for all nature and all species living in it. Environmental wellness inspires us to live a lifestyle that is respectful of our surroundings. This realm encourages us to live in harmony with the Earth by taking action to protect it as well as maintaining a healthy living environment, incorporating tolerance, safety, acceptance, and respect for others and yourself.
This attribute of wellness celebrates diversity and social consciousness and strives to provide a safe place for everyone in our community.
TWC believes in connecting...not mandating that you join a movement or organization, but encouraging you to practice habits that promote a healthy environment. When you become environmentally aware, you will be able to realize how your daily habits affect the environment. Improving environmental wellness is simple and results in a more balanced lifestyle.
FCS values open, honest communication with all stakeholders, and believe in positive working relationships with students, parents, employees, community members, business leaders, and the media. We believe that Forsyth County Schools is stronger when all stakeholders are well-informed and involved.
The Route to Environmental Wellness
Once the route to environmental wellness begins, it becomes incredibly easy to carry out. There are many environmentally conscious practices you can adopt in order to improve your relationship with the environment. Conservation is at the root of it all. Below is a list of a few suggestions to help you become more environmentally aware.
- Conserve energy.
- Volunteer with environmental organizations.
- Become aware of Earth’s natural resources. Identify and understand the role of our natural resources.
- Spend time outdoors and boost your vitamin D at the same time!
- Join in on Keep Forsyth County Beautiful initiatives and volunteer
- Take account of what in your home/work environment that can change to help you feel less cluttered and more organized
How We Listen Connect and Mobilize...
Promoting diversity and acceptance by encouraging peer buddy programs and inclusion
Forsyth County School Mentoring Program, High School Student Mentoring to younger children
Student and Parent Focus groups, Annual Community Survey (substance use related)
Utalizing the School Social Workers to:
-Connecting families/students with outside programs- Mentor Me, Evolve Program, programs at juvenile court and through the sheriff’s office.
-Connecting families to resources that enable them to take part in programs they may not otherwise be able to afford (camps, after school programs, sports and other activities offered outside the school system)
Public Information and Communications:
- Supporting implementation of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiatives in schools and district level
- Sharing environmental wellness initiatives on social media, website, etc.
- Surveys on website
- Partners in Education
Parent Trainings provided each semester on Saturdays, Monthly Parent Training Nights for Transition, Special Olympics events, Forsyth County Public Library Special Needs Fair
Alcohol and Substance Abuse Prevention Grant (I Have a Choice Campaign & Annual Wake Up/Ghost Out Event)
School System Celebrations
- Celebration of Excellence
- District Retirement Reception
- Employee of the Month program
- Forsyth County Education Foundation
School Social Work
- Engage with the community in the community (home visits, agency visits, etc) to communicate effectively and build relationships.
- Support community efforts by helping with events that raise funds to support people in the community (i.e. Relay for Life, Events for The Place, Family Promise, Meals By Grace, Holiday House)
- Assist with mobile food pantries
- Project Connect (coordinate teachers to make home visits prior to start of school year to deliver school supplies and connect with students)
- Support programs at the schools such as Kick it Up, Black Student Union, Ghost out.
|Cumming Home Ministries||678-456-5544|
|Cumming Housing Authority||770-887-5331|
|Family Haven (Women and Children)||770-844-0842|
|Habitat for Humanity||770-886-4939|
|Lanier Fuller Center for Housing (home repair)||678-845-9582|
|Receiving Homes (Mothers and Children)||770-889-7950|
|Childcare Resource & Camp; Referral Agency||1-877-255-4254|
|Georgia Department of Early Care & Camp; Learning||404-656-5957|
|Georgia DHR Office of Child Support Services||1-844-694-2347|
|Head Start (Ninth District Opportunity)||770-889-9420|
Special Needs/Disabilities/High potential Youth
|Babies Can’t Wait||770-531-4053|
|Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities||678-947-2818|
|Forsyth County Special Olympics||770-887-2461|
|Lekotek of Georgia||404-273-6139|
|Vocational Rehabilitation Services||770-781-6781|
|Abba’s House “Windows of Heaven” Food Pantry||678-208-2000|
|City on a Hill Church||770-889-6919|
|Creekside United Methodist Church||770-888-8449|
|Cumming Baptist Church||770-205-6699|
|Cumming First United Methodist Church||770-887-2900|
|Episcopal Church of the Holy Spirit||404-226-0935|
|Food Stamps (DFCS)||770-781-6700|
|Freedom Tabernacle--“There’s Hope” Program||770-887-4679|
|Greater Heights Baptist Church- Food Pantry||770-887-4802|
|Hightower Baptist Association Food and Clothing Bank||770-205-2464|
|Meals By Grace Pantry||404-426-4055|
|North Lanier Baptist Church||770-781-5433|
|The Place of Forsyth County||770-887-1098|
|St. Brendan’s Church-St. Joseph’s Food Pantry||770-205-7969|
|Vocational Rehabilitation Services||770-781-6781|
The TWC Community Resource Guide has been compiled to assist families in and around Forsyth County. This guide includes telephone numbers, websites, locations, and services. Forsyth County Schools does not endorse or recommend any non-profit, business, mental health agency, or provider.
If you are unable to access services or have questions, please contact your child’s school counselor, nurse, social worker, or an administrator. To request additions, deletions, or changes contact the Student Support Department at 770-887-2461 ext. 202340 or email@example.com