Environmental Resources and Information
Environmental Wellness in its basic form is RESPECT-respect for all nature and all species living in it. Environmental wellness inspires us to live a lifestyle that is respectful of our surroundings. This realm encourages us to live in harmony with the Earth by taking action to protect it as well as maintaining a healthy living environment, incorporating tolerance, safety, acceptance, and respect for others and yourself.
This attribute of wellness celebrates diversity and social consciousness and strives to provide a safe place for everyone in our community.
TWC believes in connecting...not mandating that you join a movement or organization, but encouraging you to practice habits that promote a healthy environment. When you become environmentally aware, you will be able to realize how your daily habits affect the environment. Improving environmental wellness is simple and results in a more balanced lifestyle.
FCS values open, honest communication with all stakeholders, and believes in positive working relationships with students, parents, employees, community members, business leaders, and the media. We believe that Forsyth County Schools is stronger when all stakeholders are well-informed and involved.
The Route to Environmental Wellness
Once the route to environmental wellness begins, it becomes incredibly easy to carry out. There are many environmentally conscious practices you can adopt in order to improve your relationship with the environment. Conservation is at the root of it all. Below is a list of a few suggestions to help you become more environmentally aware.
- Conserve energy.
- Volunteer with environmental organizations.
- Become aware of Earth’s natural resources. Identify and understand the role of our natural resources.
- Spend time outdoors and boost your vitamin D at the same time!
- Join in on Keep Forsyth County Beautiful initiatives and volunteer
- Take account of what is in your home/work environment that can change to help you feel less cluttered and more organized.
How We Listen, Connect and Mobilize...
Promoting diversity and acceptance by encouraging peer buddy programs and inclusion
Forsyth County School Mentoring Program, High School Student Mentoring to younger children
Student and Parent Focus groups, Annual Community Survey (substance use related)
Utilizing the School Social Workers to:
- Connecting families/students with outside programs- Mentor Me, Evolve Program, programs at juvenile court and through the sheriff’s office.
- Connecting families to resources that enable them to take part in programs they may not otherwise be able to afford (camps, after school programs, sports and other activities offered outside the school system)
Public Information and Communications:
- Sharing environmental wellness initiatives on social media, website, etc.
- Surveys on website
- Partners in Education
School System Celebrations
- Celebration of Excellence
- District Retirement Reception
- Employee of the Month program
- Forsyth County Education Foundation
School Social Work
- Engage with the community in the community (home visits, agency visits, etc) to communicate effectively and build relationships.
- Support community efforts by helping with events that raise funds to support people in the community (i.e. Relay for Life, Events for The Place, Family Promise, Meals By Grace, Holiday House)
- Assist with mobile food pantries
- Project Connect (coordinates teachers to make home visits prior to the start of the school year to deliver school supplies and connect with students)
Special Needs/Disabilities/High Potential Youth