PSAT/NMSQT ON THURSDAY, OCTOBER 19, 2023
West Forsyth High School is happy to provide an opportunity for students to prepare for the SAT through administration of the Preliminary SAT, also known as the PSAT/NMSQT® (National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test). The PSAT is a preparatory version of the SAT exam. You can only take the PSAT once per year. If you earn a high score on the PSAT your junior year, you could qualify to receive a National Merit Scholarship! Testing your skills in reading, writing, and math, the standard testing time for the PSAT is approximately 2 hours. The test consists of Evidence-based Reading, Writing and Language, and Math. This year, the PSAT will be conducted virtually within a West classroom, similar to Milestones.
The PSAT/NMSQT is scheduled to be administered at West Forsyth on Thursday, October 19, 2023 from 8:25 am – approximately 11:00 am (students with accommodations may be finished closer to 1:00 pm). If you want your child to take the PSAT/NMSQT, we ask that you register as soon as possible to avoid missing the registration deadline. All 10th Grade Students take the PSAT at no cost, as the PSAT is free for all 10th Grade Students in the State of Georgia. 10th Grade Students do not need to register on Total Registration!
As a part of their participation in PSAT and/or SAT testing, students may be expected to utilize accounts created with the College Board via their official website. These accounts provide students with the ability to register for the PSAT and SAT assessments, as well as other program resources as offered by the College Board. Parents and students should review the College Board privacy policies and collaboratively create and manage this account. For additional information, please contact the PSAT/SAT Coordinator at your student’s school, and visit https://privacy.collegeboard.org/
INFORMATION BY GRADE LEVEL
NINTH GRADE STUDENTS - It is recommended that ninth graders complete the practice test virtually through Applerouth, because they will be able to take the PSAT/NMSQT for free during their 10th grade year at West. Please navigate to Applerouth website and locate the practice PSAT for free. 9th grade students will not report to West on 10/19.
Ninth grade students can also participate in the College Board assessment at West for a fee of $25 and register at Total Registration. It is our strong recommendation that students complete this assessment for free via Applerouth at home.
TENTH GRADE STUDENTS - Sophomores are automatically registered for the PSAT/NMSQT free of charge. Tenth grade students should plan to report to West on 10/19/22 and return home upon completion of the test. Tenth grade students should not register for the test.
ELEVENTH GRADE STUDENTS - Juniors can take the PSAT/NMSQT for $25. Registration and pre-payment for this opportunity is available online through Total Registration. The PSAT is the National Merit Scholar Qualifying Test (NMSQT) for Juniors. Learn more about this distinguished scholarship program.
TWELFTH GRADE STUDENTS - Seniors are not eligible to take the PSAT. All Seniors may stay home for a day of Virtual Learning or consider scheduling a college visit.
*9th and 11th grade students taking PSAT exams at West Forsyth High School on Oct 19, 2023 must register for exams by 11:59 pm, September 6, 2023.
If you have any questions about the PSAT, please contact your child's counselor or Malina Maldonado, Assistant Administrator
FORSYTH COUNTY SCHOOLS HAS DESIGNATED OCTOBER 19TH AS AN ASYNCHRONOUS ONLINE LEARNING DAY FOR ALL SCHOOLS. This will be a virtual catch up/review day for ALL WFHS students. Due to this, we are making a slight change in our daily schedule for the week of October 16 th. This schedule is for ALL West students.
Monday 10/16 - 7 period day
Tuesday 10/17 - *Odd Block
Wednesday 10/18 - Even Block
Thursday 10/19 - *7 period day (virtual/PSAT)
Friday Student holiday
*indicates a change from our regular schedule
Students not taking the PSAT/NMSQT can stay home to work virtually. If your student cannot stay home that day, they may come to school to complete their virtual learning in supervised areas. Buses will run as normal and a "grab and go" lunch will be available to students who come to school for either testing or virtual learning.
- Students taking the PSAT at West will be allowed to leave campus when all testing has concluded.
- Students with last names A-L should be picked up in the front of the building in the normal car rider lanes.
- Students with last names M-Z should be picked up at the auditorium parking lot (bus lanes).
- Students may then participate in Virtual Learning at home. If your student does not have transportation home or they cannot stay home to work, they may stay at school for Lunch and Virtual Learning for the remainder of the day. They will be assigned a central location to complete their work virtually.
*Parents/guardians who DO NOT permit their student to leave school at the conclusion of testing must complete the online West Forsyth Permission to Leave Early Form by Monday, October 16, 2023. If this form is not submitted, student will be allowed to leave campus after completion of the test.
Important Reminders for Testers:
- Students should report to their testing room by 8:25am. (*Testing Room assignments will be communicated to registered test-takers by Friday, October 13 th*)
- Use the restroom before arriving to your testing room.
- If you do not want to use the built in Desmos calculator bring an approved calculator - see the Student Guide for more information about acceptable calculators.
- Bring several No. 2 pencils.
- Bring a snack/drink for the breaks.
- Cell phones and smart watches cannot be used during the testing session. They can be left in a bag outside of the testing room or in the student's locker. Please leave these devices at home, if possible.
Please refer to the PSAT Student Guide for more detailed information about the exam.