LAMBERT HS 2021-22
Zero Period Grade Recovery Program
The Zero Period Grade Recovery Program is for students who have posted less than a 70 in a core class - Math, Science, Social Studies, English, and/or World Language during the first semester. The goal is to provide students with an opportunity to raise their grade to put them in position to pass the 2nd semester. Students have the opportunity to increase their 1st semester grade no higher than a 70.
Classroom teachers will identify which assignments/modules the student needs to complete in APEX, itslearning, or teacher provided recovery work based on the standards the students did not show mastery on during the semester. Students will have morning or afternoon “Zero Period” sessions to complete all assignments and show mastery on assessments. Attendance in sessions is mandatory until all work has been completed. Once all assignments/assessments are completed with satisfactory scores, the student’s classroom teacher will assign a grade no higher than a 70 for the first semester via a grade change request form.
- Students will complete all recovery work as determined by the current teacher of record.
- All APEX Tests/Unit Assessments must be completed in school during sessions.
- Attend all sessions until full work is complete (an unexcused absence from a session prior to completing all work may result in removal from the program).
Communication of Program
Teachers and Student Support/Counselors will speak with at-risk students, notify parents of failing grades, and provide recovery options. Applications will be handed to students and/or emailed to parents. Students must return a signed application.
Science, Social Studies, English, and/or World Language Zero Period Details
- February 7th - March 14th
- Mondays and Wednesdays (10 sessions)
- 7:15-8:15 am in Media Center or 3:45-4:45 pm in Room 1892
- Units of Recovery on APEX or supplemental work provided by teacher of record.
- APEX Units, no higher than 70 for recovery
- Can retake APEX Unit Test again if failed
- No higher than 70 for the semester
- All work can be done at home, except Unit Assessments (must be unlocked/monitored)
APEX recovery is not an option for Honors and AP courses. While Honors and AP courses are available on APEX, we do not offer them, as they are not aligned with course content/rigor. If you have a student that is failing an AP/Honors course, then it should be considered that the student drops to on-level, and we can then look at placing the student in on-level APEX recovery.
Math Zero Period Details
- This is an opportunity for students to remediate failed units from the first semester of Algebra I, Geometry, or Algebra II. After completing remediation, students will take a summative assessment on that material.
- February 8th - March 17th
- Tuesdays and Thursdays (10 sessions)
- 7:15-8:15 am in select math teachers’ classrooms
- Students must complete the entire unit of remediation to recover the units. This may include homework checks, unit quizzes, Delta Math work, etc. (whatever the current teacher of record and/or the recovery teacher decides).
- Students retake the Unit Test
- Grade can be no higher than a 70 for the first semester
- All work can be done at home, except Unit Tests
- Once the student has successfully remediated and passed all failed units, the first semester grade will be changed to a 70%.
Recovery is not an option for Honors and AP courses. If you have a student that is failing an AP/Honors course, then it should be considered that the student drops to on-level, and we can then look at placing the student in the math recovery program.