The mission of the Poole's Mill Elementary School counseling program is to provide support and guidance to all students as a means to foster academic success, college and career preparation, and personal/social development.
In order to implement this mission successfully, we follow the developmental model of guidance and counseling:
- The basis of a developmental guidance program is that the social and emotional development of children is a process of growth that changes all the time.
- The program is available to all students.
- It believes that all students have a capacity to learn and to be supported academically.
- It believes that children who are aware of themselves and their needs will make responsible choices for themselves.
- It believes that every child is unique and special!
We follow the American School Counselor Association's Mindsets & Behaviors for Student Success: K-12 College and Career Readiness Standards for Every Student.
Please click the link below to view the document showing a complete listing of the 35 mindset and behavior standards.
As the school counselors, We will work within the school to provide:
- Classroom guidance lessons on a variety of topics such as social skills, getting along with others, making choices, anger management, safety, following school rules, study skills, career education, and much more.
- Group counseling with small groups of children with similar concerns such as self-concept, anger management, peer relations, etc.
- Individual Counseling
- Assistance to parents and teachers when students are having academic, behavioral, emotional, or social difficulties.
- Referrals to school and community agencies.
- We encourage you to share family concerns that might be affecting your child at school. We look forward to helping you and your family.