Big Creek Elementary School History
As the district’s oldest elementary school still in operation, Big Creek Elementary was built in 1939 from the consolidation of three schools: Harris Grove, Oak Grove and Italy. Mr. A. M. Sosebee was the first principal as well as one of the school's five teachers. The original school building had no electricity. Each room was heated by a coal heater and drinking water came from a well in the school yard. Since its opening, Big Creek has had nine renovations and additions. The school is named after Big Creek, a stream in Forsyth and Fulton counties, which is a portion of Vickery Creek that was named after the Civil War.