KMES ATTENDANCE OFFICETO REPORT ABSENCES or TO SUBMIT EXCUSE NOTES PLEASE E-MAIL email@example.comPolicies and Procedures
Regular attendance is essential to success in school. As permitted under the State Board of Education Rule 160-5-1-.10, the Georgia Compulsory Education Law O.C.G.A. § 20-2-690.1, and Forsyth County Board of Education policy, students may be excused for the following reasons:
1. Personal illness or attendance in school that endangers a student’s health or the health of others.2. A serious illness or death in a student’s immediate family necessitating absence from school.
3. A court order or an order by a governmental agency, including pre-induction physical examinations for service in the armed forces, mandating absence from school.
4. The observance of religious holidays, necessitating absence from school.
5. Conditions rendering attendance impossible or hazardous to student health or safety.
6. A scheduled medical, dental, or eye examination of the student.
7. Registering to vote or voting.
8. Visiting with a parent or legal guardian who is in military service in the armed forces and has been called to duty for or is on leave from overseas deployment to a combat zone or combat support post. The student may be excused for a maximum of five (5) days per school year.
Students shall be counted present when they are serving as a page in the Georgia General Assembly. Students who are in foster care are to be counted present at school when attending court proceedings related to their care and placement.
Non-school related activities and vacations are considered unexcused.
It is the responsibility of the parent(s)/guardian(s) to complete our Absence Form and contact the school office by 10:00 a.m. to report the student's absence. The parent/guardian should contact the school on the day of the student’s absence and must submit a note, fax or email to the attendance clerk within five (5) school days for the absence to be considered excused. Attendance Fax Number: 678-965-4958 or Attendance e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. The note must include the student’s name, the date(s) of absence(s), and the reason for the absence. The principal may require students to present appropriate medical or other documentation upon return to school for the purpose of validating that absences are excused.
In case of extended illness, hospitalization, or injury, the parent should apply for hospital homebound service. Hospital homebound service should be applied for immediately when absences of ten (10) days or more are anticipated for the student.
Late Check-in or Early Check-out:
An unexcused late check-in or early check-out is defined as any time a student arrives late to school or leaves school early for a reason other than those defined by the State Board of Education as an excused absence. A combination of three unexcused late check-ins and/or early check-outs will be considered one unexcused absence. Students who miss more than half of the time in any class will be considered absent for that class period. When possible, medical and dental appointments should be made outside of school hours. If a student is being checked in or checked out for a doctor’s appointment, a parent note, physician’s note, or appointment card is required within 5 school days to be considered excused. After the tenth late check-in or early check-out, a physician’s note or appointment card is required within 5 school days to be considered excused.
- Parents must sign their child in upon late arrival.
- The school day begins at 7:40AM. Students are expected to be in their classroom ready to receive instruction at that time.
- If it is necessary for a student to check out early due to illness, the student must be assessed by the school nurse and meet assessment criteria for the school to excuse the absence. Parents may submit a note to excuse an early check-out due to illness. Students who are frequently absent, tardy, or check out early from school may be required by the school administration to provide medical documentation to validate any absence, tardy or early check-out as excused.