English for Speakers of Other LanguagesESOL instruction provides English Learners with a language focused environment to develop the academic language necessary to demonstrate complex thinking and learning across the disciplines. Students learn to recognize and use language explicit to the task in the four domains of reading, writing, speaking, and listening through engaging interactions with teachers and peers.
The Georgia Department of Education provides the following guidelines for identifying students who may be identified as an English Language Learner (ELL):
· Students whose native/home/first language is other than English.
· Students who have difficulty speaking, reading, writing or understanding the English language to the extent that their language skills would be a barrier to their success in the classroom.
· The ESOL teacher works in collaboration with classroom and other special program teachers to support the acquisition of language and content skills.
· The ESOL program promotes each student's appreciation of their ability to perform a wide variety of intellectual and physical activities.
· The ESOL program encourages the student's positive recognition of a variety of cultures, recognizing similarities and differences.
For questions or for more information, please contact:
ESOL TEACHER: Viviana Bonciu firstname.lastname@example.org
Michelle Owens MlOwens@forsyth.k12.ga.us