Our Mission Statement
We are inspiring lifelong leaders to be aware, responsible, respectful, and ready for the adventures of tomorrow.
Anchored in a safe, flourishing, and connected community
With land purchased in 2005 on Heardsville Road, Poole’s Mill Elementary School (PMES) construction was delayed because of the Great Recession (2007-09) and subsequent recovery. PMES construction funding was secured in the 2017 Bond.
Opened in August 2020 with grades K-5, Poole’s Mill will have the capacity for 1,125 students. Ms. Kristen Glass is the principal. PMES was the district’s 22nd elementary school. School colors are yellow, blue and grey and the mascot is the pirates.
PMES is named after the National Historic Registered Poole’s Mill, which is named for the third owner of the mill, Dr. M.L. Pool (b. 1825 d. 1895). Dr. Pool added a cotton gin to this land site, which also contained a bridge on Settendown Creek. The foundation stones are the only remains of the mill; the covered bridge has been rebuilt and the site is now a park. Later generations added an “e” to the end of the name Pool, therefore the school name matches the spelling of the existing road, park, bridge and historic site.
The building design is the district’s one-story prototype, used most recently for Brandywine ES (2016). This adaptation was inspired by the historic Poole’s Mill Covered Bridge, located in Poole’s Mill Park. Elements from the wooden lattice truss bridge are incorporated into the school’s exterior canopies and lobby with exposed trusses and stone columns resembling bridge support piers. The bridge theme continues throughout the school's interior with flooring in a cross-beam pattern similar to the bridge’s deck, while the school’s entrance has a wall-mounted replica of the historic water wheel.