What is PBIS?
The Principles of PBIS
PBIS is an approach that schools can use to improve school safety and promote positive behavior. It’s also a way for schools to decide how to respond to a child who misbehaves.
PBIS has a few important principles:
- Every child can learn proper behavior.
- Stepping in early can prevent more serious behavior problems.
- Each child is different and schools need to provide many kinds of behavior support.
- How schools teach behavior should be based on research and science.
- Following a child’s behavioral progress is important.
- Schools must gather and use data to make decisions about behavior problems.
Keep in mind that PBIS is not a treatment or therapy. It’s more like a framework for teachers, administrators and parents.