FORSYTH CENTRAL EXCEPTIONAL STUDENTS DEPARTMENT
DEPARTMENT CHAIR: Julie Ellington
For a listing of the courses taught and their descriptions, click here for the course digest.
For a listing of the course standards, click here to go to the Georgia Department of Education website.
The Department for Exceptional Students provides both direct and non-direct support for students who are eligible for services through our department.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Supported content classes – Placement determined by the IEP committee - direct support in the classroom by the Exceptional Student Education staff to ensure IEP accommodations and interventions necessary to provide equal access to curriculum are being provided and to assist the student in making progress on his or her goals and objectives.
- Non-direct support - Provided by the Exceptional Student Education staff through consultative services with the student and student's teachers and through monitoring of IEP accommodations and interventions, goals and objectives, related services, behavior intervention plan, and transition plan.
- Small group content classes – Placement determined by the IEP committee – for students who struggle most with the demands of a large classroom. Taught by dual-certified (SPED and Content) teachers.
- Small group study skills classes - Provide students extra time to focus on completion of assignments in all classes. Gen. Ed./SPED collaboration and monitoring of student progress aids in student success.
- Extra Help Sessions – All co-teachers and small group teachers provide before and after school “extra help” sessions.
- Computer Lab – Available before and after school for students who need computer/printer access for school related activities.
- Small group reading remediation – Placement determined by the IEP team. Utilizes the Language! Program and taught by highly trained teachers.
Where can I find out more about Forsyth County Schools Department for Exceptional Students?
Forsyth County Schools Department for Exceptional Students Webpage
What are my options for transition for students with disabilities after high school (including upcoming events, local events, state resources, college preparation, Discover, and Vocational Rehabilitation? Transition
What is the DISCOVER program? DISCOVER program
What are my rights as a parent of a student with disabilities? Your Rights as a Parent